Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, BAGILLT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420447

Map Reference SJ27NW

Grid Reference SJ22267509

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Bagillt

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's Church, Bagillt, is located in a large churchyard above High Street, and is an example of earlier nineteenth century Gothic. It was built in 1837-38 by John Welch, architect, and consecrated 18 July 1839.
The exterior is yellow sandstone, coursed, with slate roofs. Its plan is cruciform, with lancets, gabled buttresses and low pitched roofs. West tower with parapet of stepped battlements, corbelled out; two windows to each side at bell stage, lozenge to west, shallow buttresses, blind windows to sides, to west, round-headed doorway with shallow hood. Three bays to nave (gabled buttresses) doorway to north has round head, shallow hood. The transepts and east end have pairs of buttresses carried up as octagonal pinnacles; three lancets between buttresses (almond-shaped window above), single lancets to ends (and to returns); east end similar to transept ends but has low polygonal vestry with buttresses rising above parapet.
The interior is spacious with open roof to aisleless nave (gallery to west end on octagonal columns) and broad crossing arches with boarded roof.
References: E. Hubbard, Clwyd, (Buildings of Wales Series), 1986, pp 319.
(Cadw Listing database, with additions)

RCAHMW, 30 September 2014

Archive Records