You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St John's Church, Brymbo

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSJ25SE
Grid ReferenceSJ2951053970
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyDenbighshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
The foundation stone of St John's, for the Welsh, was laid on 17 August 1891. The church was built on the site of the original church which was built in 1837 but collapsed due to subsidence. The original foundation stone was embedded in the west wall of the new church which opened in 1892. It is cruciform on plan and comprises chancel, north and south transepts, nave, south porch and an open spirette for two bells. An iron screen divides the choir from the nave. Other features included a pulpit of Caen stone with a cross in the front panel, and an oak lectern with two boards. The cost was £2120. An organ was provided in 1909 at a cost of £200.
The church was demolished some time after 1974 and the site is now a garden of remembrance where the local war memorial is located.
D.R.Thomas, The History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.3 (1913), 240.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 30 September 2014