Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, GWERSYLLT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420458

Map Reference SJ35SW

Grid Reference SJ31625354

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Gwersyllt

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The Church of the Holy Trinity is located in a churchyard prominently sited to the west of Mold Road on the north side of Gwersyllt.
It was built in 1850-51 to the designs of Thomas Penson, architect, of Wrexham. Penson lived in the parish, and made no charge for his work. The church is a prominent landmark in Gwersyllt, and a well-detailed example of High Victorian church building which is of particular interest for the retention of many of its original fittings.
It is built of coursed and squared tooled stone with slate roofs. An aisle-less nave with tower is surmounted by a spire in its north angle with the chancel. A lower-gabled vestry wing balances the tower to the south.
Interior features include a five-bay nave, with arched braced trusses sprung from corbels; three tiers of purlins with ogival wind-braces; and a plain double-chamfered chancel arch. Fittings include a font with clustered shaft and stiff-leaf capitals carrying an octagonal basin, and a pulpit with trefoiled panels carried on shafts. (from the Cadw Listing database)

RCAHMW, 3 October 2014