You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Smithfield School Church, Caia Park, Wrexham

Loading Map
NPRN420478
Map ReferenceSJ35SW
Grid ReferenceSJ3423750191
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityCaia Park
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
Description
This church was located on the north side of Smithfield Road, Wrexham. The foundation stone was laid in July 1909 and the church opened in January 1910. It appears on the Third Edition OS 25-inch map (1914) as 'Church & Sunday School'.
The church was constructed as a brick building with freestone dressings and a dado of enamelled bricks. It comprised a large room with a classroom and an apse. It had an open deal pulpit and desk and was seated with chairs. The eagle lectern stood on twisted pillars resting on claws.
The building remained a place of worship into the later twentieth century. It is believed to have formerly been St David's Church in Wales. However, the church has since been deconsecrated and is currently used as a warehouse. The adjacent hall (built later than the church and not shown on the 1914 map) is used by the community council.

Historical source: D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.3 (1913), 315-6.
http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/towns/w/wrexham_city.html

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 10 October 2014