Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, NORTHOP HALL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420509

Map Reference SJ26NE

Grid Reference SJ2698067834

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Northop Hall

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description This church is located on the north side of the B5125, opposite the site of its predecessor iron church (NPRN 8073).
Building work began in 1910 to the designs of architect L.W.Bernard. Of local stone, in the late Gothic style, it was to consist of chancel and nave, with north aisle of four bays, and ultimately a western tower; the woodwork ceiling and fittings to be of oak.
The Church was completed in 1912, although for some undocumented reason, perhaps funds, the tower was not extended above the main roof level, and so it remained for 50 years. This incomplete tower was clearly “planned” since the Parish Magazine of September 1910 states that “It is not the intention at present carry the tower higher than the ridge belt”.
Sources: D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.2, p.432-4.
http://www.northopchurch.org/history-of-st-marys-northop-hall.html

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 17 October 2014

Archive Records