You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Mission Church, Pentre

Loading Map
NPRN420511
Map ReferenceSJ27SE
Grid ReferenceSJ2551572182
Unitary (Local) AuthorityFlintshire
Old CountyFlintshire
CommunityFlint
Type Of SiteMISSION CHURCH
Period19th Century
Description
St David's Chapel (Croes Ati), Pentre Ffwrndan, was erected as both a church and a school close to the site of the ancient cross, from which it derives its name. Its purpose was to meet the twin needs of a rapidly increasing population.
The foundation stone was laid in August 1871, the building opening for divine worship in June 1872. Built to the designs of Daniel Lewis of Manchester, it consists of an apsidal chancel laid with encaustic tiles, a nave or schoolroom, and a class-room or vestry. It is brick built - red, white and black - with terracotta weatherings for the buttresses and windows.
The church closed in January 2011.
Historical source: D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.2 (1911), p.180

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 21 October 2014