Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST SEIRIOL'S CHURCH, PENMAENMAWR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420602

Map Reference SH77NW

Grid Reference SH7217776522

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Penmaenmawr

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Seiriol's church is located on the north side of the Conwy Old Road, close to its junction with Church Road. It was built in 1867 to designs of architect Alfred Waterhouse of London and is an unusual Welsh example of his work, one of his early designs.
It is a fine Gothic Revival church in a strong, Early English style, built of rock-faced local granite with ashlar dressings, and banded slate roof with fishscale bands and terracotta cresting. Its constituent elements include a nave with lower south aisle, north chapel and vestry, and chancel. Its most distinctive feature is the later tower, added in 1885, at the south-west corner linked to the nave by a short porch or narthex bay. Angled buttresses meet at eaves level of its saddleback roof and extend upwards as octagonal pinacles. The nave interior is lofty with a waggon roof, boarded above the chancel. The walls are lined with red and yellow brick in bands, and alternately above the openings. The chancel and arcade openings have alternate bricks chamfered back to give a serrated edge reminiscent of Romanesque chevron-work.
Other interior features include a reredos, by W.D.Caroe, depicting the last supper; rood screen of 1925; parclose screen with thin barley-twist verticals; a pulpit of 1908 with traceried panels; and a font on a steped tiled platform with decorated wide shallow bowl and attached book rest on a small pier.

Sources: extracts from Cadw Listing database; Haslam et al. Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.486-7.

RCAHMW, 14 November 2014

Archive Records