Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE LODGE, HALKYN CASTLE, HALKYN, HOLYWELL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420673

Map Reference SJ27SW

Grid Reference SJ2088371065

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Halkyn

Type of Site LODGE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period 19th Century

Site Description The lodge is one of two, in similar style to the house, which were an integral component of the layout to the park of Halkyn Castle, which itself was built 1824-7 by John Buckler, architect, for the second Earl Grosvenor.
The single-storey lodge is built in a castellated style, of coursed pecked stone, with a hipped slate roof behind an embattled parapet. It has a stone central stack with 2 diagonal shafts. The symmetrical 2-window front has a central castellated porch, and the mullioned windows have shallow arched lights, small-pane glazing and hood moulds. A similar window is in the left side wall, with an inserted window further to the left. Against the rear is a lower wing with a hipped roof.
Ref. Halkyn Tithe map, 1839; Cadw/Icomos, Register of Parks and Gardens in Wales, PGW (C) 68; Hubbard, Edward, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, 1986, p360.
Geoff Ward, 04/12/2014. Source CADW listed building description.

Archive Records