Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH, NELSON

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420730

Map Reference ST19NW

Grid Reference ST1105395538

Unitary (Local) Authority Caerphilly

Old County Glamorgan

Community Nelson

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St John's church is located on the north side of High Street, on the western margins of the former village. It was built in 1887-9 to designs of architect E.H.Lingen Barker of Hereford. It is a cheaply-built church comprising a six-bay nave and short, lower chancel with short north and south transepts, in Early English style with plate tracery and bar tracery. The roof is arch braced on stone corbels carved with naturalistic flowers.
The church was extended in 1904 with the addition of a western tower. A gabled south porch may also have been added at this time.

Sources:
churchplansonline.org
J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.473
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2361903

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 7 January 2015

Archive Records