Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, LLANVIHANGEL CRUCORNEY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420894

Map Reference SO32SW

Grid Reference SO3250020585

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Crucorney

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description St Michael's church is located in the centre of the village of Llanvihangel Crucorney. The church is a medieval foundation with likely Norman origins, as suggested by the twelfth-century west wall of the nave. The tower base and the chancel are perhaps of thirteenth or fourteenth-cenury date. The Victorian restoration (windows, chancel arch etc) dates from 1884-7. The church is built of red sandstone rubble with some ashlar dressings, and stone tile roofs. It comprises nave of four and a half bays (only the eastern two are roofed), chancel, west tower (tapered in four stages) and gabled south porch. Inside, the roofed nave and chancel have stripped walls, modern ceiling to nave, 1887 waggon roof to chancel, chancel arch and east window of same date, also the pews. Notable is a wall memorial in the chancel of 1667 to Richard Sidnee; and there is a remarkable relief tomb slab in the nave, rather weathered from being outside but seemingly Elizabethan.
The church stands in a churchyard with a good variety of well-preserved early and mid-nineteenth century memorials, with some examples of locally carved headstones and chest tombs.
Source: extract from Cadw Listing description.

RCAHMW, 24 March 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records