You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Peter's Church, Goodwick

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSM93NW
Grid ReferenceSM9424537988
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityFishguard and Goodwick
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
St Peter's church is located on the west side of Plasygamil Road. It was built in 1910-11 to designs of architect E.M.Bruce Vaughan of Cardiff in late Decorated to early Perpendicular Gothic style as espoused by turn-of-the-century church architects following G.F.Bodley, and of unusual elaboration for the region. The church is not aligned east-west but south-west by north-east.
It is constructed of rock-faced coursed grey-brown Shanrock stone from Ireland with Box Ground limestone dressings, and Bangor green slates to roofs with coped shouldered gables with cross finials. It consists of nave, chancel with slightly lower roof, lean-to south aisle, south-west gabled porch, prominent embattled tower with polygonal stair turret on south side of chancel, with south-east flat-roofed, two-storey vestry. The west end of the church was never finished and is walled up in red brick. The interior is whitewashed plastered. The pointed boarded nave roof is of 12 bays with transverse moulded ribs and gilded carved bosses. The chancel has a similar roof, with seven bays but with more ornate wall-plate and more frequent gilded bosses. Fittings include fine quality woodwork by Clarke of Llandaff including oak chancel stalls and two reading desks, pulpit, doors and screen to tower at east end of south aisle, and Decorative wrought iron standards to altar rails. Stained glass includes works by Newbery (c.1924) and C.C.Powell (c.1930).
The church was built because of the rapid increase in population following the establishment of the transatlantic port. However, the church appears to have replaced an earlier structure adjacent to it on the west which is portrayed on the Ordnance Survey first-edition map of 1889.
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (2004), p.195.
OS County Series 25-inch map: sheet Pembrokeshire IV.15, editions of 1889, 1907 & 1937.

RCAHMW, 3 June 2015