Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOHN'S CHURCH, PEMBROKE DOCK

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421037

Map Reference SM90SE

Grid Reference SM9674803307

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Pembroke Dock

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St John the Evangelist is located on the south side of Bush Street at its junction with Church Street. It was built in thirteenth-century lancet style in 1845-8 to designs of architect J.P.Harrison, the first church in south-west Wales to be built on Ecclesiological principles and also looking to local sources in the design. It is constructed of grey, squared Pembrokeshire limestone with slate roofs. It consists of triple-gabled nave, aisles, chancel, south-east chapel and north-east vestry, gabled north porch, tower between north aisle and vestry, and coped gables and cross finials. The tower is sheer but low (apparently not completed as intended) with a north-west stair tower, corbelled flat parapets, lancet bell-openings, and 1865 iron clock faces.
Inside, walls are plastered under steep-pitched open roofs, with plain chamfered five-bay arcades. The chancel has an open rafter roof. Fittings of 1879 by Wilson, Willcox & Wilson of Bath include a pulpit on squat marble shafts, a plain massive font, an open iron screen on a low stone wall, carved stalls and encaustic tiles on the east wall. The south-east chapel was refitted 1919-20 by J Coates Carter as a War Memorial, with oak screens to south aisle and chancel, sanctuary panelling, and carved oak reredos. Stained glass includes works by Herbert Davis (1898) and Kempe & Co (mostly 1910-20).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (2004), p.342.

RCAHMW, 10 June 2015