You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Ffraed's Church, Tregroes, Llandysul

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN44SW
Grid ReferenceSN4070344797
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
St Ffraed's church is situated on the north side of the village of Tregroes about 4 km north of Llandysul. It is a small, neat roadside church set in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built as a chapel of ease in 1858 to designs of R.J.Withers, most likely, though it has the same plan as a more elaborate church in Llandysul built by G.E.Street. The church is aligned roughly north by south and is constructed of squared rock-faced rubble stone and slate roofs. It consists of nave and chancel under a single roof with slated timber spirelet on the ridge between them, and at a point where the walls narrow, an apsed south (liturgical east) end, entrance in north (west) gable wall, lean-to vestry, and lancet windows. The interior is plain and plastered. The font is a battered, small, square medieval bowl.

Google Street View, June 2011.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.585.

RCAHMW, 21 July 2015