You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Brynach's New Church, Bryn-henllan, Dinas Cross

Loading Map
NPRN421125
Map ReferenceSN03NW
Grid ReferenceSN0104039355
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityDinas Cross
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
Description
St Brynach's church is situated on the west side of the road into Bryn-henllan from the A487. It was built to replace the medieval church of St Brynach (NPRN 304400) on the beach at Dinas Head which was damaged by a storm in 1851 and almost swept away in the great storm of 1859.
The new church was built in 1860-1 to designs of R.K.Penson. It is constructed of brown rubble stone and slate roofs. It consists of low nave and narrower chancel, slated west bell-turret, south-west porch unusually gabled east-west, gabled north-east vestry with chimney, and both tracery and lancet windows. The porch contains a dismantled thirteenth-century font, square and scalloped.
Inside, timbered roofs are open. Fittings include an octagonal nineteenth-century font, and an oak pulpit carved by the Rector's niece F.Alderson. Stained glass includes work by Abbot & Co, Lancaster (1913).

Sources:
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (2004), p.183.
Google Street View, August 2011.

RCAHMW, 20 July 2015