Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BRYNACH'S NEW CHURCH, BRYN-HENLLAN, DINAS CROSS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421125

Map Reference SN03NW

Grid Reference SN0104039355

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Dinas Cross

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Brynach's church is situated on the west side of the road into Bryn-henllan from the A487. It was built to replace the medieval church of St Brynach (NPRN 304400) on the beach at Dinas Head which was damaged by a storm in 1851 and almost swept away in the great storm of 1859.
The new church was built in 1860-1 to designs of R.K.Penson. It is constructed of brown rubble stone and slate roofs. It consists of low nave and narrower chancel, slated west bell-turret, south-west porch unusually gabled east-west, gabled north-east vestry with chimney, and both tracery and lancet windows. The porch contains a dismantled thirteenth-century font, square and scalloped.
Inside, timbered roofs are open. Fittings include an octagonal nineteenth-century font, and an oak pulpit carved by the Rector's niece F.Alderson. Stained glass includes work by Abbot & Co, Lancaster (1913).

Sources:
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (2004), p.183.
Google Street View, August 2011.

RCAHMW, 20 July 2015