Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, CAERSWS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421132

Map Reference SO09SW

Grid Reference SO0314191872

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Caersws

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's church is situated on the south side of Main Street at its junction with Bridge Street. It was built in 1871 to designs of Edward Jones of Newtown as a chapel of ease to the mother church of St Gwynnog, Llanwnnog's parish church.
It is constructed of squared rubble stone and slate roofs, and consists of nave and chancel under a single, steeply-pitched roof, gabled south-west porch, gabled north-east vestry with chimney, west bellcote with colonnettes, and plate-traceried windows. Stained glass in the east window is by Francis W.Skeat (1961).
The church is now disused.

Soures:
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.91.
Google Street View, June 2009.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 24 July 2015