Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST TYSSIL'S CHURCH, LLANDYSSIL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421134

Map Reference SO19NE

Grid Reference SO1954595439

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llandyssil

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Tyssil's church lies on the north-west side of the village just off the minor road which runs through it to Green Lane. It was built in 1863-6 in Early English style to designs of T.H.Wyatt and replaced an earlier one on the east side of the village, of which only the porch remains (NPRN 306221).
The church is constructed of snecked grey masonry with sandstone dressings, under a banded slate roof with red ridge tiles. It is built on a plinth with a string course at sill level and moulded sandstone eaves; angle buttresses with offsets. Aligned north-east by south-west it consists of nave and lean-to north aisle, narrower chancel, south tower-porch with spire, gabled north vestry with its roof line parallel with that of the chancel, lancet and plate-tracery windows. The three-stage tower is surmounted by a broach-spire, and a semi-octagonal stair turret is set in the north-east angle.
The large Gothic interior is ornately polychromatic. There is a four-bay arcade between the nave and north aisle. The arches rise from polished red granite columns on heavy pale grey bases with chamfered tops, and ringed capitals. The arches have pointed tops, chamfered mouldings and are constructed of alternate blocks of red and pale grey stone. The chancel arch, with pointed head, is also polychrome. The chancel roof is vaulted and has square moulded panels with a foliate boss at each corner, infilled with plaster; the chancel floor is of multi-coloured Maws tiles.
Fittings include a reredos in rich Caen stone and alabaster; a font by Wyatt with marble colonnettes; and a semi-hexagonal pale grey stone pulpit with black marble columns to the angles. There is a stoup in the north-east corner of the nave with a date of 1802 engraved on the base. Stained glass includes works by H.Hughes (c.1879), and others by an unknown hand.

Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.143-4.

RCAHMW, 27 July 2015