Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CADFARCH'S CHURCH, PENEGOES, MACHYNLLETH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421165

Map Reference SH70SE

Grid Reference SH7697200967

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Cadfarch

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Cadfarch's church is located in a sub-triangular churchyard used as a cemetery, towards the west end of the village, set back from the north side of the main road (A489). The church was built in a simple Decorated Gothic style in 1884 to designs of architect John Pritchard. It replaced a medieval church of which no visible structural trace remains. The present church is constructed of blocks of grey sawn slate under a roof of Pembrokeshire slate, and heavy yellow sandstone dressings, with detail of corbelled eaves and tall plinth with moulded sandstone coping. The plan consists of nave, chancel and crossing under a single roof, gabled south porch with steeply-pitched roof, north bell turret and north vestry under a catslide roof. The crossing provides a shallow south transept with big gable and a north organ recess. The windows are mainly single lights in geometric tracery, with cusped trefoiled heads, and a big wheel window in the west gable.
The interior walls of the church are of polychrome brickwork: yellow brick with banding, diaperwork and relieving arches detailed in polychromatic brick and slate. The nave has a wagon roof and quarry tile floor with polychrome diaper-work. The crossing has a wood- panelled roof supported on stone corbels, the sanctuary a three-bay arched-brace roof with cusped windbraces. Fittings include a Grecian organ of c.1800, a font of 1884 (the broken medieval one beside it) decorative white ashlar reredos with traceried arches on colonettes (1902). Stained glass includes works by Ward & Hughes (c.1877) and Heaton, Butler & Bayne (c.1904).

Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.231.

RCAHMW, 29 July 2015