Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST ILID'S CHURCH, CRAI

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421227

Map Reference SN82SE

Grid Reference SN8969224636

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Cray

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Ilid lies just beyond the north-east edge of the village of Crai, set in a triangular churchyard used as a cemetery in the fork of a road-track junction. It is constructed of rock faced sandstone and paler dressings under slate roofs. The church comprises a single chamber nave and chancel under a single roof with three-sided apse, timbered bell-canopy over west gable wall, gabled south-west porch and north-east vestry under a catslide roof. The church is lit through lancet windows, triple lancets in west gable. Stained glass in the nave north window is by Celtic Studios (1983), and in the east window glass dated 1924.
Sources:
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.466-7.
Google Street View, September 2011.

RCAHMW, 4 September 2015