Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GWRTHWL'S CHURCH, LLANWRTHWL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421234

Map Reference SN96SE

Grid Reference SN9757063726

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Llanwrthwl

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Gwrthwl's church lies on the south side of the village in a raised, partly rounded, churchyard used as a cemetery. The church was built in 1874 in lancet style to designs of J.G.Finch Noyes on a more ancient, possibly pre-Christian, site. It is constructed of squared, rock-faced rubble with sandstone dressings, and consists of nave and narrower chancel, gabled south porch, and gabled north vestry. Interior features include thinly detailed scissor rafter roofs and shafted chancel arch; a circular twelfth-century font; and pews and traceried pulpit of 1874. Stained glass includes works by Joseph Bell & Son (1906), and Leonard Walker (1936).
Sources:
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.542.
Google Street View, August 2011.

RCAHMW, 9 September 2015