Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH, LITTLE NEWCASTLE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421245

Map Reference SM92NE

Grid Reference SM9801128895

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Puncheston

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description St Peters Church was granted, along with three others, by Adam de la Rupe to Pill Priory at the end of the twelfth century. In this grant it is dedicated to St David.

The medieval building consisted of a double nave and chancel, the north aisle demolished but replaced during nineteenth century restorations. the fabris was repaired in 1806 and between 1842-43, with major restoration taking place by E.H. Lingen Barker, Diocesan Architect, between 1870 and 1875 including the addition of the porch in 1870. The interior retains the twelfth century font and a memorial plaque to the Symmons family. An Elizabethan chalice is on permanant loan to St Fagans museum.

the church is particularly notable for the collection of modern stained glass windows, commissioned from 1990 onwards from staff and former students of the Department of Stained Glass at the Swansea Institute, and inspired by the 1962 east window by Roy Lewis, a former lecturer there. ('Stained Glass in Wales' website)

RCAHMW September 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records