Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARK'S CHURCH, CONNAH'S QUAY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421278

Map Reference SJ26NE

Grid Reference SJ2908069882

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Connahs Quay

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mark's church is situated on the south side of Church Street (B5429), in a rectangular churchyard formerly used as a cemetery. It was built in 1836-7 to designs of architect John Lloyd, in a simple lancet style but with an interior of late Georgian character. It is constructed of dressed yellow sandstone, the later chancel of snecked sandstone, under slate roofs; with detail of plinth, raised stone copings to gables with kneelers, and tall narrow lancet windows with stone hoodmoulds. The church consists of six-bay nave, narrower chancel, west tower incorporating porch, south-east outshut vestry and north-west choir vestry (in the angle of tower and nave). The tower, with diagonal buttresses, is of four stages, the upper stage slightly inset and with battlemented parapets, and a short swept slate-covered roof surmounted by a weather-vane.
Inside, the wide nave with six-bay panelled roof is ceiled at collar level; substantial tie-beam trusses supported on arched braces, with curved principals and crown-posts. Pews are set either side of a central aisle. The gallery at the west end is supported on two narrow cast iron columns. The chancel ceiling is panelled, the panels with stencilled floral decoration. Fittings and furnishings include a circular pulpit of Caen stone, the font a plain octagonal bowl on a circular stem, wood panelled reredos donated in 1924, and choir stalls with open traceried panels. The Altar, of carved oak, is a war memorial donated by the choir. There is abundant stained glass, much of it in the form of memorials.
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.339.

RCAHMW, 23 October 2015

Archive Records