Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, TREUDDYN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 421295

Map Reference SJ25NE

Grid Reference SJ2539858088

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Treuddyn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's Church is located within its own graveyard on the south side of Ffordd-y-Bont and to the south-east of the village centre. It is a nineteenth-century church on a more ancient foundation with clergy recorded on the site since the eleventh century. It was built in 1874-75 in a Gothic Revival style to designs by T.H.Wyatt (1807-1880) following the demolition of a double-naved medieval church. The church is constructed of roughly dressed stone laid in regular courses from a slightly projecting base, and slate roofs. It consists of nave with clerestory, lower apsidal chancel, north and south aisles, gabled south-west porch, and a bellcote above the chancel arch surmounted by metal cruxifix. The church is lit through lancet windows, circular windows to cleestory and west end. The interior, of five bays, is plain. Its principal interest is the survival, from the earlier church, of high quality glass in the apse where fragments of stained glass ascribed to the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries are now reassembled into the north and south windows.
Sources:
Cadw Listing description.
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.453.

RCAHMW, 10 November 2015

Archive Records