You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Coalbrookvale Iron Works, Nant-y-glo

Loading Map
NPRN421367
Map ReferenceSO10NE
Grid ReferenceSO1936009460
Unitary (Local) AuthorityBlaenau Gwent
Old CountyMonmouthshire
CommunityNantyglo and Blaina
Type Of SiteIRON WORKS
Period19th Century
Description
Coalbrookvale Ironworks was located on the east side of the Ebbwy-fach river, a short distance to the south of Nant-y-glo. It was founded in about 1820 with one furnace being completed in 1821. The works produced 2,704 tons of iron in 1823 and the following year a second furnace was fired up. The works was owned by Brewer & Co between the 1820s and 1840s and in 1849 three blast furnaces present on the site. By 1858 sole ownership of the works, together with those of Cwmcelyn and Blaina, had passed to Frederick Levick. Worsening trading conditions during the 1860s led to the three works being put up for sale in 1867. The sale catalogue described a furnace, puddling furnaces, mills and forges at Coalbrookvale together with an attached engineering works. However, no buyer came forward and company assets were eventually sold off in 1878.
Late twentieth-century reclamation appears to have eradicated all visible traces of the works.
Source: L.Ince, The South Wales Iron Industry 1750-1885 (1993), 131-3.

RCAHMW, 21 January 2016