You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Telford's Tower, Portmeirion

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH53NE
Grid ReferenceSH5894537230
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
Period20th Century
Telford's Tower was built in 1958 to mark the bicentenary of Thomas Telford, the engineer. It stands on the northern side of the village, overlooking the Central Piazza.

List description
Square tower of three storeys above a basement with single-storey rectangular range adjoining to the E, thereby forming an overall L-plan. Stucco elevations with slate roofs; that to the tower section is pyramidal and has feathered eaves and an urn finial. Canted oriel to the ground floor S side of the tower (facing the village), with 6-pane central and 3-pane outer lights; sloped metal roof. Above this is an 8-pane vertical window with external wooden slatted shutters and shallow segmental arch over. The upper storey is slightly recessed and has a 6-pane window; further, similar windows to the side elevaions. The adjoining block has steps up to an arched entrance to the L with multi-pane glazed door. Venetian window to the R and to the eastern gable end, the latter with blind recessed occulus above.
Adjoining this block to the R (NE) is a rendered and tile-coped wall which steps up over two round-headed arches with volutes to the sides; to the R of these is a larger, rusticated arch, with surmounting Royal arms in stone with lion and unicorn supporters. A short link section connects this with the adjoining Unicorn.

Reasons for listing: listed as one of a number of buildings and structures designed by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.