You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Clydai 2, Inscribed Stone, St Clydai's Church, Clydau

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN23NE
Grid ReferenceSN2508435465
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
PeriodEarly Medieval
Clydai 2 is a roman-letter and ogam-inscribed stone of spotted dolerite. It was first recorded in1859 when it was either built into, or standing close to, the north wall of St Clydai's Church (NPRN 422371), having been adapted for use as a sundial. It had been moved into the church by 1925 and is now set against the west wall of the south aisle, adjacent to Clydai 2 (NPRN 422370) and Clydai 3 (NPRN 421735).

The stone is a roughly quadrangular-section pillar. Measurements are given as 178cm height x 25.5 < 35.5 > 28cm x25.5cm (max) diameter. The original top of the stone has been cut away, squared and levelled to form the pillar of the later sundial, and four holes with the remains of iron pins in them were used for attaching the dial plate. This has destroyed the middle of the ogam inscription and damaged the first letter of the roman-letter inscription. Both inscriptions are thought to contemporary and to date to the late 5th or first half of the 6th century Face A has been dressed in the area of the roman-letter inscription, which has been incised using a broad punched line and reads vertically downwards. The Latin inscription has been translated as `of Etternus son of Victor?. The ogam inscription has been incised up the angle of faces A and D, and down the angle of faces A and B. It has been translated as `of Etternus son of Victor?.

Sources include:
Edwards, N. 2007, Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales

N Vousden, 21 November 2017