Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MOLD SHIRE HALL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 424561

Map Reference SJ26SW

Grid Reference SJ24156495

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Mold

Type of Site SHIRE HALL

Broad Class CIVIL

Period 20th Century

Site Description 1. Following the implementation of the Local Government Act 1888, which established county councils in every county, Flintshire County Council established its base at the old County Hall in Chester Street in Mold. Additional facilities acquired included a local militia barracks (originally designed by Thomas Mainwaring Penson) which was converted for use as council offices in the late 1880s. The Chester Street facilities became cramped and by the 1930s the county council needed modern facilities. A new building, which was designed by Robert Harvey, the county architect, and influenced by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, was built in the brutalist style and completed in October 1967. It was officially opened as the Shire Hall by Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon in May 1968. An extension to the building was opened by Princess Anne in July 1972. After the implementation of the Local Government Act 1972, the new building became the home of Clwyd County Council in 1974.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Hall,_Mold - accessed 05-11-19

2. Recorded by the Royal Commission during aerial survey and ground survey.

T. Driver, RCAHMW, 2019.

Digital Images

Archive Records