You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Saundersfoot Railway Main Line, Saundersfoot Harbour to Thomas Chapel

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN10SW
Grid ReferenceSN1380004580
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
PeriodPost Medieval
The main line of the Saundersfoot Railway opened in 1832. The railway was constructed to connect several collieries, including Thomas Chapel Colliery (nprn 400205), Broom Colliery (nprn 400201) and Bonville's Court Colliery (nprn 308432), to Saundersfoot Harbour (nprn 34611). The route includes an incline (nprn 308430) and a tunnel (nprn 308433). The railway was built to a gauge of 4ft 0 3/8in and worked by horses until 1874 when the line was relaid with heavy flat-bottom rails and steam locomotives were introduced, as far north as the incline. A branch line (nprn 43051) ran via Wiseman's Bridge, between the Harbour and Lower Level Colliery (nprn 308435), serving Stepaside Ironworks (nprn 40500) and Kilgetty Colliery (nprn 308436). Most of the main line was abandoned as the coal industry declined, then in 1915 extended (nprn 408319) to serve Reynalton Colliery (nprn 91716) until its closure in 1921. The Saundersfoot Railway closed finally in 1939.
Sources include: The Saundersfoot Railway, M R C Price, Oakwood Press, 3rd edition 1978.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 18 September 2013.