Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOHN'S COLLIERY, MAESTEG

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 435

Map Reference SS89SE

Grid Reference SS8756891682

Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend

Old County Glamorgan

Community Maesteg

Type of Site COAL MINE

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Johns Colliery was opened by North's Navigation Collieries Ltd. in 1910 on the site of the recently defunct Cwmdu Colliery (NPRN 86933). In the late 1920s it employed 1,480 workers. The mine is depicted in considerable detail on the 3rd & 4th editions of the Ordnance Survey County series (Glamorgan. XXVI.10 1919, 1937).

This was the last deep mine in the Llynfi Valley, closing in 1985. Remains still visible at the site include large tips.

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 3 January 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites