You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bodedern Early Christian Cemetery

Loading Map
NPRN43589
Map ReferenceSH38SW
Grid ReferenceSH3413580015
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityBodedern
Type Of SiteCEMETERY
PeriodEarly Medieval
Description
Traditionally the site of a medieval chapel dedicated to Edern, this is possibly the 'ancient rem.' of the Ordnance Survey's Surveyors' drawings of 1818-23. An excavation here in 1971 uncovered part of an extensive inhumation cemetery that had originally been confined within a curvilinear ditched enclosure. Some of the earliest graves were aligned north-south. The ditch was later filled in and graves spread beyond it. A 'central feature' was identified. In the final phase of the cemetery this may have been a small timber oratory. Several of the graves had stone cists. One of this re-used a stone bearing the inscription, ERCAGNI - of Ercagnus or Erchan.

Source: White in the Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society & Field Club for 1971-2, 19-51

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 03 August 2007