You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Eglwys-y-bedd Or St Cybi's Vestry

Loading Map
NPRN43590
Map ReferenceSH28SW
Grid ReferenceSH2470082590
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityHolyhead
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodMedieval
Description
NAR SH28SW12

Eglwys-y-Bedd is the nave of a small early fourteenth century church or chapel. It stands within the walls of Caer Gybi (NPRN 15607) to the south of the collegiate church of St Gybi (NPRN 27500) and was probably part of the college. Having fallen into dereliction the building was restored as a school in 1748 and retains few original features. The last ruins of the chancel were cleared in 1810. The east wall has a blocked fourteenth century chancel arch and the west wall has a mutilated two light window, probably fourteenth century, above the head of a fifteenth-sixteenth century doorway.
Trenching carried out in 1992 indicated the presence of an earlier medieval building on the same site.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 31
Gruffydd in Archaeology in Wales 32 (1992), 76-7

John Wiles 13.07.07