You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Gallgo's Church, Llanallgo

Loading Map
NPRN43604
Map ReferenceSH58NW
Grid ReferenceSH5013885060
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityMoelfre
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
A medieval parish church, restored and extended in the late nineteenth century. The church has a cruciform plan with a nave, aisles or trancepts and a chancel. The nave and trancepts have fifteenth century openings and the nave, which originally projected only about 2.0m west of the trancepts, was rebuilt in 1892. The walls are of stone rubble with finer dressings under largely modern roofs, which may incorporate some medieval timbers. Ffynnon Allgo is situated some 350m to the south-west (NPRN 32151).

Event and Historical Information:
The church is associated with the wreck of the ROYAL CHARTER in October 1859. The bodies of the victims of the shipwreck were brought up the hill from the village to the Church which became the mortuary. The Rector of Llaneugrad and Llanallgo at the time was the Reverend Stephen Roose Hughes. Dickens records that he wrote 1075 letters in respone to those who wrote to him inquiring after relatives and friends. There is an obelisk in the graveyard as Llanallgo which was raised by public subscription to commemorate the tragedy. This memorial was sited over the mass grave of 140 unidentified victims, but was moved in the early 1900s. Reverend Stephen Roose Hughes is also buried within the graveyard and the inscription on his gravestone refers to `His noble and disinterested exertions on the memorable occasion of the terrible Wreck of the 'Royal Charter' are well known throughout the World'.

Sources include:
RCAHMW Anglesey Inventory (1937), 34
NMR Site File
McKee, A. 1970, The Golden Wreck: The Tragedy of the Royal Charter
Dickens, C. 1860, An Uncommerical Traveller

RCAHMW, October 2007.