You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary And St Nicholas' Church, Beaumaris

Loading Map
NPRN43619
Map ReferenceSH67NW
Grid ReferenceSH6041076128
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityBeaumaris
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Saints Mary and Nicolas' church, was built around 1330 to serve the borough of Beamaris. It comprises a fourteenth century aisled nave and four-stage west tower with battlemented parapet, a chancel built circa 1500, and a north vestry and south porch which are probably nineteenth century. The upper section of the tower was remodelled in the early nineteenth century. The roofs have been renewed, although some original carved bosses remain. The church retains some 14th century detail in the nave and chancel, including the chancel arch, and five round windows with quatrefoiled cusping on the south side of the clerestorey. There are sixteenth century chancel stalls and the coffin and lid of Princess Joan, daughter of King John. There are wallpaintings in the form of painted piscinae in both the north and south aisle chapels which retain slight traces of colour in the recesses. An alabaster tomb has traces of red paint in the lion's mane. The misericords are late fifteenth to early sixteenth century, though eight of them are 1902 replacements.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 3-8; RCAHMW Wallpaintings collection.
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 106.

RCAHMW, October 2009.