Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43619

Map Reference SH67NW

Grid Reference SH6041076128

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Beaumaris

Type of Site CHURCH


Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Saints Mary and Nicolas' church, was built around 1330 to serve the borough of Beamaris. It comprises a fourteenth century aisled nave and four-stage west tower with battlemented parapet, a chancel built circa 1500, and a north vestry and south porch which are probably nineteenth century. The upper section of the tower was remodelled in the early nineteenth century. The roofs have been renewed, although some original carved bosses remain. The church retains some 14th century detail in the nave and chancel, including the chancel arch, and five round windows with quatrefoiled cusping on the south side of the clerestorey. There are sixteenth century chancel stalls and the coffin and lid of Princess Joan, daughter of King John. There are wallpaintings in the form of painted piscinae in both the north and south aisle chapels which retain slight traces of colour in the recesses. An alabaster tomb has traces of red paint in the lion's mane. The misericords are late fifteenth to early sixteenth century, though eight of them are 1902 replacements.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 3-8; RCAHMW Wallpaintings collection.
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 106.

RCAHMW, October 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites