You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael's Old Church, Gaerwen, Site of

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH47SE
Grid ReferenceSH4787873416
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityLlanfihangel Ysgeifiog
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
The medieval St Michael's Church is now ruinous with only the the eastern end remaining. In 1847 it was replaced by the present church, 1.3km to the south in Gaerwen (NPRN 43628), which has appropriated some of its fittings. The surviving eastern section remained intact for some time but was depicted in ruins only on the 3rd edition of the Ordnance Survey County series map of 1920(Anglesey XVIII.8).

The church originally consisted of at least a nave, chancel and north and south chapels. Of these only the chancel and north chapel remain. The nave was demolished in the mid nineteenth century when the present west chancel wall was built, and the south chapel was removed in about 1874. The chancel is a mid fifteenth century structure with a late sixteenth century east window. The west wall has a reset mid fifteenth century bellcote and doorway. The north chapel was built in 1638 for the Hollands of Berw (see NPRN 15801-2). There is an eleventh-twelfth century grave slab in the chancel and a fragment of a ninth-eleventh century cross is built into the bellcote. The church occupies an irregularly polygonal enclosure, 40-45m across.

Source: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 83-4

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 7 August 2007

1. Ruined and disused. Mid fifteenth century chancel with north chapel added in 1638.
2. Eastern part of church remains as a roofless ruin, as above, west wall mid nineteenth century.
Set within a polygonal enclosure, c.50m E-W by 40m.
(source OS 495 card: SH47SE5)
RCAHMW AP965126/41
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 25.11.2003.