Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BODFAN'S CHURCH, ABERGWYNGREGYN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43704

Map Reference SH67SE

Grid Reference SH6532672630

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Aber

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Bodfan's church is located on the south side of the village, above the A55 road, in a rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. It is a nineteenth-century church on the site of an earlier one which lay a short distance to the north within the churchyard. It was built in 1878 by Pugin, Ashley & Pugin in early Decorated style and, in the Bangor Diocese, contrasts with the ubiquitous designs of Henry Kennedy. The church is constructed of squared rock-faced granite with yellow dressings. It consists of nave and narrower chancel, north-west tower with porch, and south-east vestry and organ chamber. The tower is slim with embattled parapet, dragon gargoyles and slated pyramidal roof. Inside, the columns to the arcade between chancel and vestry are of Mansfield stone. From the old church are several monuments dated 1720-1815. Stained glass includes works by Curtis, Ward & Hughes.
Sources:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.232.
Google Street View, August 2011.

RCAHMW, 9 Febraury 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records