You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Deiniol's Cathedral, Bangor;bangor Cathedral

Loading Map
NPRN43727
Map ReferenceSH57SE
Grid ReferenceSH5807372052
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityBangor
Type Of SiteCATHEDRAL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The oldest Cathedral foundation in Britain, St Deiniol's Cathedral was founded around 525 AD on the site of a Celtic clas and dedicated to St Deiniol in about 546.

The present structure dates back to the early twelfth century when it had an eastern apse and probably an aiseless nave. It has been considerably altered and rebuilt over a long period and was reconstructed by Bishop Skevington (1509-34) who built the existing nave and western bell tower. Further eighteenth to nineteenth century work by a "Mr Wyatt", John Hall and John Foster, culminated in Gilbert Scott's restoration of the eastern part of the Cathedral from 1868 to 1880. The central tower that Scott had designed was never completed and finally in 1966/7 ADR Caroe created the existing structure.

The cathedral contains the Mostyn Christ, a wooden late fifteenth century sculpture of rare iconography, removed from Llanrwst church to Gloddaeth, but possibly the figure described in a poem of 1518 at the Dominican Friary at Rhuddlan. It is a near life-size wooden figure (missing the arms) of Christ, seated and bound, in the last moments before and with the emblems of his Crucifixion. Carvings of this devotional kind are now so rare in Britain that stylistic comparisons for the Northern realism of the exhausted face and torso are not easily made.

Associated with: city (NPRN 33003).
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 242.

RCAHMW, October 2009.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions