You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Catholic Church of Our Lady and Saint James, Holyhead Road, Bangor

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH57SE
Grid ReferenceSH5755872022
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
Built originally as St James's Church in the Anglican tradition, it passed into the ownership of the Roman Catholic church in 1996 as the Church of Our Lady and St James.

The church is located at the corner with Ffriddoedd Road in a small triangular churchyard set into the slope and bounded by contemporary Gothic railings, entered from the east between gate piers. It was built in 1866 in Gothic revival style with much flowing tracery to designs of Kennedy and Rogers, architects of Bangor; Kennedy was the diocesan architect. The south chapel was added in 1884 and the vestry/chamber to the north-east was built in 1894 by Harold Hughes of Bangor.

The church is constructed of snecked rubble masonry with Anglesey marble dressings, and slate roofs with gable finials, corbelled eaves, and stepped buttresses (gabled to chancel and plinth and cill bands). The plan comprises a six-bay triple nave with lower three-bay chancel and attached north-east vestry range, and a prominent three-stage tower to the south-west which also serves as the main entrance. The tower is capped with a prominent limestone broach spire. The interior has cylindrical piers to the nave with a plain 'hammerbeam' roof on uncarved springers. The south nave serves as a Memorial chapel. Gothic furnishings include an octagonal font with marble columns.

There is a stained glass window of the crucifixion to the Lady Chapel by A Gibbs.

(Extracted from Cadw Listing database with additions)

RCAHMW, 4 November 2014