You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary's New Church, Port Dinorwic

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH56NW
Grid ReferenceSH5186066839
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityY Felinheli
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century

St Mary's church is situated on the south side of Caernarfon Road in a rectangular churchyard formerly used as a cemetery but now partially built over. It was built in Early English style in 1865 to designs of architect J.G.Weightman. The church is constructed of grey rubble with yellow sandstone dressings, articulated by buttresses. Its plan is cruciform (following the addition in 1890 of the south transept by Montagu Hepworth), with nave and narrower chancel, and west bellcote above the gable entrance. An intended west spire was precluded by poor ground conditions. Inside, trussed rafters form an open wagon roof. Arcades between crossing and transepts have polished grey Aberdeen granite piers and pierced quatrefoils in the spandrels. Fittings include an octagonal pulpit with tracery and ornate cornice. Stained glass is by O'Connor of London, Jones & Willis, and Percy Bacon Bros.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.369.
Google Street View, June 2011.

RCAHMW, 16 February 2016