Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BRIDGET'S; ST FFRAID'S CHURCH, CAROG;LLANSANTFFRAID GLYN DYFRDWY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43875

Map Reference SJ14SW

Grid Reference SJ1112743571

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Merioneth

Community Corwen

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Bridget’s, originally known as St Ffraid’s, was first mentioned in documents of 1291. The church is situated in the village of Corwen, although the parish was originally known as Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy. The village is depicted as Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy on first edition(1875) Ordnance Survey mapping, but is depicted as Corwen on second edition(1901) Ordnance Survey mapping. The church was originally sited closer to the river Dee, reputedly on its bank, but was swept away by the river in the early seventeenth century. The circular font is thought to be medieval, and may have been salvaged from the former church. The present church was erected in 1611, and is situated some 300 yards north of the river Dee. In the late sevebteenth to early eighteenth century a dwelling named Croes Faen was noted to be located 500 yards from the church.

The present church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of slate slabs with boulder stones. It consists of a continous nave and narrower chancel, south porch, north-west vestry and west bellcote. The side walls of the porch and north wall of the nave are original. The porch roof has a substantial arched tie-beam, which rests directly on the wall. This is thought to be original, as is the wooden door in the north wall. In 1729 painted texts were noted on the walls. The church was restored in 1852, when a north gallery was removed and the vestry and bellcote added. The seating and some of the windows were also replaced. The rebuilding of the nave may date to this time. The building was further restored in 1867, with the removal of a west gallery and rebuilding of the chancel. The pulpit also dates to this time. All the windows are nineteenth century. The vestry was added in 1911, and later extended to include a church room.

Sources include:
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, Ll, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 362
Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic churches of Denbighshire and the Vale of Clwyd: gazetteer, 312
Ordnance Survey, 1875, first edition 25inch
Ordnance Survey, 1901, second edition 25inch

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 15 June 2012

Archive Records