You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St James's Church, Glan-yr-afon

Loading Map
NPRN43877
Map ReferenceSJ04SW
Grid ReferenceSJ0268242526
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
CommunityLlandderfel
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St James's Church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard on the south-east side of the A494. It was erected between 1861-1864 as a memorial church to Sir Robert and Lady Williames-Vaughan of Rug. The church was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, and is a Grade II listed building. It is considered a well-preserved example of a Gothic Revival rural church.

The building is constructed of rubble stone, with sandstone ashlar dressings to the window surrounds. It consists of a continuous nave and chancel with a south lean-to vestry and north-west porch. Externally, the line between nave and chancel is delineated by a bellecote and a pair of projecting stepped buttresses. The porch has a coped gabled roof and double-chamfered archway, with an impost band continuing to form the sill band of the west windows. The west end has paired lancet windows and a recessed plate-traceried rose-window. A further three windows are located on the south side of the nave, all with two-light plate tracery, each differently detailed and linked by a continuous sill-band. The chancel has a stepped triple-lancet east window. Paired lancet windows are also located in the north wall of the chancel, with two-light plate-traceried windows in the north wall of nave, all differently detailed and with a continuous sill band. Most of the fittings are contemporary.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 23 July 2012