You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael's Church, Ffestiniog

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH64SE
Grid ReferenceSH6993641899
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St Michael's Church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard, which is up to 1.5m higher than the surrounding ground. The churchyard was extended to the west in 1843-4, when the medieval church was demolished. Its former boundary is not visible. More recently the churchyard was extended to the north-west. The medieval church building was sited within the eastern area of the churchyard. Its location has been identified by determining the area occupied by post 1844 gravestones. This area measures 16m length x 12m width. A round medieval font is preserved within the present church.

The medieval church was described as being in the ancient style of English Architecture, and as having had a gallery erected in 1829. It was replaced by the present building in 1843, which was built to the south-west of the of the original site. It consists of a nave and chancel divided by a horseshoe arch, a vestry and south porch. It was built in neo-Norman style. The building was restored in 1913, when a south porch was added to the nave and a north vestry with external doorway was added to the chancel. In 1932 a new heating boiler and pipes were fitted, and the nave and chancel were replastered.

Sources include:
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, Ll, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 338
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic churches of Gwynedd: gazetteer, 391

N Vousden, RCAHMW, April 2012