You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llanover House

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSO30NW
Grid ReferenceSO3160008650
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMonmouthshire
Old CountyMonmouthshire
Type Of SiteHOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Llanover House, built in 1837 and designed by Thomas Hopper, was a substantial 3-storied building with stone mullioned windows and a low decorative parapet around the top of the house. There were distinctive tall hexagonal brick chimneys in sets. The owners, Sir Benjamin and Lady Hall, intended Llanover House to become the recognised centre of the promotion of the Welsh language and culture. The house was demolished in 1936.

Source: early black and white postcard, undated.

RCAHMW, 15th January 2008.

Llanover Hall holds a special place in the modern history of the revival of Welsh-language culture and literature. The mansion was a comparatively recent addition to the list of Welsh country houses, commissioned by Benjamin and Augusta Hall, Lord and Lady Llanover in the year 1828, and deigned by Thomas Hopper.

Benjamin Hall (1802?1867) was a wealthy civil engineer, MP and social reformer from Abergavenny. As he was responsible for overseeing the later phases of rebuilding of the Houses of Parliament, it is thought that `Big Ben?, the large bell in the clock tower that was installed under his supervision, was nicknamed after him. In 1823, he married Augusta, nee Waddington, (1802?1896) from nearby Abercarn.

Lady Llanover's chief interests were the study of Welsh history, language and literature. She adopted the bardic name Gwenynen Gwent (the Bee of Gwent) and as a patron of the arts, she engaged a series of domestic harpists to work at her house and, further, encouraged the revival of country fashion worn by the peasantry in different parts of Wales. So fond was she of the various locally produced dresses that she took to wearing a more gentrified version during various cultural celebrations and festivities, and it may be claimed that Lady Llanover created the `national costume? of Wales. (As Benjamin Hall did not quite share his wife's penchant for dressing in country fashion, there is no male equivalent to the women's costume.)

In addition, Lady Llanover was a collector of manuscripts and established the annual Cymreigyddion Y Fenni, a local eisteddfod to which she invited many international guests who shared her fondness of Welsh poetry and music. She was a patron of the Welsh Manuscripts society, funded the compilation of a Welsh dictionary and was instrumental in the founding of Y Gymraes, the first Welsh language periodical for women. Over the years, prominent guests included her German brother-in-law, the diplomat Christian Carl von Bunsen, as well as Theodore Claude Henri, vicomte Hersart de la Villemarque, from Brittany who was initiated as a bard into the Gorsedd.

Llanover Hall, renamed to Llanover House, was largely demolished in 1936, but the surviving range remains a private home with a large garden and park. The owners frequently open the doors to the general public to enjoy the carefully maintained, 200-year old, landscape garden that had been commissioned by its first owners, Benjamin and Augusta, as well as continue the tradition of tree-planting themselves.

Record updated as part of the AHRC-funded project 'Journey to the Past: Wales in historic travel writing from France and Germany'.
R. Singer (Bangor University) and S. Fielding (RCAHMW), 2017.
application/pdfETW - European Travellers to Wales ProjectDescription of a visit to Llanover Hall by Arthur Erny from 'Voyage dans le pays de Galles' (1862). Text available in Welsh, English, French and German. Produced through the European Travellers to Wales project.