Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PONT ABER LERI SHIPYARD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 506294

Map Reference SN69SW

Grid Reference SN61629318

Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime

Old County Maritime

Community Maritime

Type of Site SHIPYARD

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Sales particulars dating to 1862 show a short section of wharf on the west side of the Leri next to the road. It seems likely that 19th century shipbuilding activity, pre-dating the coming of the railway, would have been based around this wharf (the location of the modern boatyard).

Event and Historical Information:
In 1842, a shipyard was developed near the road bridge. The vessels built here included the sloops MARY AND ELLEN in 1843, MARY REES in 1842, CLAUDIA in 1850, PRISCILLA in 1855; the brigantine ISLAND MAID in 1851; the schooners GLEANOR and RESOLUTE in 1849; and smack CATHERINE in 1864. John Jones, the most prolific shipbuilder on the Dyfi in the 19th century, is known to have worked at Ynyslas.

Sources include:
Davies, T, 2004, Borth: A Seaborn Village, pg35
Green, C C 1993, The Coastlines of the Cambrian Railways, Vol 1: Machynletth to Aberystwyth
OS 1st Edition

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, August 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records