Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE SKERRIES ISLET;YNYS Y MOELRHONIAID

Site Details



NPRN 506357

Map Reference SC20SE

Grid Reference SC2531602296

Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime

Old County Maritime

Community Maritime

Type of Site ISLAND, SEASCAPE

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Multiperiod

Site Description 1. The Skerries are a group of sparsely-vegetated rocky islets, with a total area of about 17 hectares (42 acres).

Sources include:
Historic Admiralty Chart 1412-A7, RCAHMW Digital Collections sourced from UK Hydrographic Office (published 1842)

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, October 2011.

2. ' Ynys y Moelrhoniaid, or the ‘Isle of Seals’, commonly called the Isle of Skerries, a long island composed entirely of craggy pointed rocks, in which are great numbers of rabbits, and which, during the breeding season, is the resort of puffins and razorbills. A lighthouse, exhibiting a steady light, was erected on the highest point of this island, in 1733, by the Corporation of the Trinity House, to facilitate the navigation of this part of the channel, and for the preservation of the numerous vessels employed in the trade between Liverpool and Dublin…The Isle of Skerries anciently belonged to the monks of Bangor, and was the principal fishery appertaining to that see, the prelates of which, by neglect, having suffered it to be usurped by the family of Griffith, of Penrhyn, Bishop Dean, in 1498, exerted himself for its recovery, and, after a considerable struggle, succeeded in procuring its restoration to the see’ (LLA).'

Lewis, Samuel, 1833. A Topographical Dictionary of Wales: Comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate and Market Towns, Parishes, Chapelries, and Townships. Volume 2. London. S. Lewis and Co.

3. Visited by T. Driver, RCAHMW, 19th April 2016.

Digital Images

Archive Records