You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

English Baptist Church;ysgol-y-gwynfryn, Brynmawr Avenue, Ammanford

Loading Map
NPRN6644
Map ReferenceSN61SW
Grid ReferenceSN6285312644
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
CommunityAmmanford
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Ammanford English Baptist Church began with the revival of 1904-5 and the expansion of the anthracite coal-mining industry; this attracted an increasing number of English-speakers to the area, which created the need to establish an English-language Baptist church. At this time Non-Welsh speakers from Monmouthshire were attending services at Ebeneser, with 20 members being released in 1905 to form the new English Baptist Church. In 1905 services were being held on Brynmawr Lane in a building of Ysgol y Gwynfryn, which had been founded in 1880 and occupied a former barn. In the early years of the churches formation the congregation paid rent to the academy, but by 1910 the church had acquired the building and remodelled it in the Arts and Crafts Style; it was at this point that the academy started paying rent to the church for the use of its building. During the early years the church maintained a close connection with Ebeneser, with baptisms and special services being held at Ebeneser. In 1937 the church underwent a substantial programme of renovation, which probably saw the addition of the vestry. In recent years the congregation had been shrinking, but is currently experienced a minor resurgence in numbers. The chapel is built of rendered stonework, with the south-west facade having a crow stepped gable added in the 1910 works.

Ross Cook, RCAHMW. May 2013


Ammanford English Baptist Church started out at a barn, which in 1880 became a Preparatory school, Ysgol y Gwynfryn (also known as Hope Academy) for Theological and other colleges. A new chapel was built in 1910, in the Arts & Crafts style with a gable entry plan.

RCAHMW, August 2009