Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SEION WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL;ZION;SION, ST CLEARS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 6655

Map Reference SN21NE

Grid Reference SN2766816280

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community St Clears

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Seion Welsh Baptist Chapel was built in 1849 to the design of Isaac Price of Rhymni. It was later rebuilt/modified in 1887, and further renovated in 1927-8. It appears in the 1851 Religious Census. The chapel is in the Simple Round-Headed syle, and has a square plan with a porch to the front and a vestry attached to the right. The building is rendered and whitewashed, with hood-moulding round the upper storey windows. The chapel is entered via a panelled door with fanlight over, set into the right side of the porch; to the front of the porch is a plain sash window, with raised pediment above bearing the inscription 'Seion'. To each side of the porch there is a single plain sash window. The upper level has three round-headed windows, with moulded cornice and keystone. The side elevations each have four plain sash windows, two upper and two lower. The vestry has a central double panelled door with fanlight over, with round-headed windows to either side. Above are three small round-headed windows. The roofs are of slate, hipped on the main chapel, pitched on the vestry.

Source: RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records