You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Capel Newydd Welsh Independent Chapel, Nanhoron, Gwinllan

Loading Map
NPRN6974
Map ReferenceSH23SE
Grid ReferenceSH2858230919
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityLlanengan
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The community of Capel Newydd was founded in 1740, and the chapel built in 1770-2. Alterations were carried out in the early nineteenth century, and there was a further restoration in 1956-8 by T. Alwyn Lloyd and Alex Gordon of Cardiff and M.T. Pritchard of Bangor. The chapel is probably the earliest surviving nonconformist chapel in north Wales with one of the very few surviving early chapel interiors. It is earth floored with box pews in a long barn-like space, with whitewashed low plastered walls and an open roof of five pine pegged collar trusses. The pews are arranged in two rows with an axial passage. One of the box pews is for Catherine, the wife of Timothy Edwards of Nanhoron. The pulpit is plain and square with curved angles. The chapel is built of rubble stone with a steep roof of small slates with stone gable copings.

Source: CADW listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions