You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, High Street, Pen-y-Groes

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH45SE
Grid ReferenceSH4700953421
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
The site of Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel has been in use for religious purposes since 1827, when a Methodist/Independent Sunday School was established (NPRN 309867), to which an Independent Chapel was added in 1834. The Methodist Congregation was established in 1845, and the current chapel dates to 1860, with extensive modifications made in 1870 and 1901/2. The final design is that of Rolant Lloyd Jones of Caernarvon. It is of a free Italianate style, with cement-rendered walls with rusticated quoins, entablature and panelled parapet beneath a slate roof. The entrance of the chapel is a Tuscan porch with entablature, added in 1901, and has a pair of recessed panelled double doors with round-headed arches. The large window above the entrance is Venetian-inspired. The outer bays of the front gable elevation each have a pair of six-paned windows with pilastered surrounds, one upper, one lower. The side elevations each have six bays, with two tiers of windows, the upper having round-headed arches, the lower remaining plain.

The chapel interior is well preserved, with pitch pine furnishings dating to 1899-1901. The walls are plastered, while the ceiling is ribbed with a highly ornamented central rose and surrounding panels. There is a three-sided gallery mounted upon cast-iron columns with spiral decorations. To the front of the chapel is a neo-Norman pulpit, above which the organ sits atop a panelled podium in a segmental-arched recess.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 3 March 2009