Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ENGLISH BAPTIST CHURCH, ALFRED PLACE, ABERYSTWYTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7148

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN5829481788

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The English Baptist Church on Alfred Place was built in 1870 to the design of Richard Owen of Liverpool. It is in a simple Italianate Classical style, consisting of two storeys plus a basement. It has a three-bay gable facade of snecked rubble with rendered dressings and a band course with a vacant datestone, beneath a pitched slate roof with finials carried on banded end pilaster strips. The central bay of the chapel facade has a tall, stilted arched plate tracery three-light window with a rose pattern oculus, while the outer bays have square-headed windows on the ground floor, arch-headed on the gallery, with continuous voussoirs, recessed under gabled hoods. The side elevations are cement rendered and have five bays, each with arch-headed sash windows.
Within the chapel a raked gallery with foliage panelled front spans one wall, mounted upon cast iron fluted columns with foliage capitals. The renewed coved ribbed ceiling has corbelled cornice, ventilation panels and a foliage rose in each bay.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 March 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records